Quality Construction, Renovation and Build Specialists

Haddons Forge

Haddons Forge was originally constructed during early 18th Century and was originally an old pig sty and hay loft forming part of the holding which was subsequently know as Forge House but was originally a small holding.
Haddons Forge was a fully operational smithy from the late 18th Century until 1958, when the last Blacksmith (Albert Haddon) retired. The old building fell into a state of disrepair before it was carefully restored and converted.

Barry Thomas Associates were the project Architects who obtain full permission and listed building consent to convert to a 3/4 bedroomed dwelling house.

External Appearance
The dwelling masonry is of brick and is surmounted with new Spanish slate. The windows are softwood casement type with conservation rooflights specified by the conservation officer. The whole exterior was repointed in lime mortar with the area surrounding laid to granite chippings and granite setts. The objective of the project was to convert without changing the external appearance to any great degree.

Internal Layout and Finishes
The conversion retains the old brick floors and has new floors in reclaimed pine. The two old blacksmiths forges have been incorporated into the kitchen design and topped with stone slabs to form storage areas and worktops.

The elm wood trusses and purlins have all been retained and left exposed in order to deliver a conversion that is both modern but is also a piece of local history.
The 4 bedroomed conversion is heated with oil-fired traditional radiator central heating and the sensitive use of modern lighting highlights the retained features. The fireplace in the lounge area has been fitted with a pot bellied stove and fully lined chimney.

The kitchen is a bone coloured shaker style with multiple integrated units under a solid beech block worktop with Belfast sink and swan-necked mixer tap over.